Black Mold on Your Ceiling?
If you smell a sour odor in your bathroom, the solution may be above you. The first place that usually develops mold in your household is the bathroom. Few people notice and act on the mold immediately but by the time you do notice it, black mold will look awful, and it may even pose health risks. What do you do when you find it, and is it dangerous? Call SERVPRO of Effingham-Mattoon-Charleston at (217) 536-6655!
So.. What causes Mold?
The bathroom is a common place for mold to first develop because most bathrooms have all of the risk factors for mold growth including:
- Water, dampness
- High humidity
- Low air circulation
- Low lighting
What are the Dangers of Black Mold?
Toxic black mold, can release spores as it feeds on organic materials in common household materials like drywall, carpet, insulation or sub-flooring that have been exposed to moisture. But, severe cases of prolonged exposure, black mold health effects can be more dangerous. Often compounded by allergic reaction to the black mold spores, these symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, and bleeding in the lungs and nose.
Remember that while you should handle all mold promptly, health effects from mold exposure is very rare. There’s no need to panic. Plus, simply reducing your humidity and increasing air circulation is usually enough to keep mold from returning.
If you do have a reoccurring mold issue be sure to call the cleanup specialists at SERVPRO!